This is what I wanted to be when I grew up.
Laura Bonner grew up an imaginative child of a dentist, loving to look at “before and after” photos in her dad’s office. There was something magical to her about making a crooked tooth straight and helping another person have a beautiful smile. Being an orthodontist has been her dream since the second grade—it’s the perfect calling for someone who enjoys using their brains and their hands to help people, while creating lasting relationships in the community.
As an adult, Dr. Bonner has the same amount of enthusiasm and even reverence for the process, which she now knows to be more about the skill of finding the right solution and using technology effectively and less about miracles. Not that she doesn’t still find magic in her practice—she still loves to see the power that a great smile has on self-confidence and self-esteem.
- University of Colorado, School of Dental Medicine, D.D.S. . Graduated in top 10.
- University of Iowa, M.S. and certificate in orthodontics.
- University of Iowa, faculty member in orthodontics department. Currently involved with the University on a weekly basis.
- Diplomate of the American Board of Orthodontics. “Board Certified” Only 1 out of 3 orthodontists obtain this voluntary certification.
- Masters research published in Journal of Anatomy — Holton, N. E., Bonner, L. L., Scott, J. E., Marshall, S. D., Franciscus, R. G. and Southard, T. E. The ontogeny of the chin: an analysis of allometric and biomechanical scaling. Journal of Anatomy, 226: 549–559. doi: 10.1111/joa.1230
- Co-author on textbook: Southard, Marshall, Bonner. Orthodontics in the vertical dimension: A case-based review.
- American Board of Orthodontics
- Arkansas Association of Orthodontists: Secretary/Treasurer 2017-present
- American Association of Orthodontists
- American Dental Association